Friday, October 31, 2014

Not My Circus, Not My Monkey

Pehaps you've seen the caption above on the Internet, Not My Circus, Not My Monkey.  It refers to the refusal to get involved in someone else's drama.  I think it is wise counsel.  I would like, however, to apply this principle to King of drama: Satan.

As Christians, we are not called to battle Satan or disarm him or even defeat him.  He is already defeated.  At Calvary, Jesus "disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross" (Col 2:5).  Our charge, instead, is to refuse to allow him to tangle us up into a web of deception, which as the "father of lies" (John 8:44), he is very, very good at.  Rather than face him toe to toe, we are instructed to "Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).

Did you happen to notice the reason for the armour of God?  You may have assumed it was to allow you to engage Satan in battle, defeating him by the power of God.  Not!  Again, Satan was defeated at Calvary.  The Word says, "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take you stand aganist the devil's schemes" (Eph 6:11).

Satan is defeated, bound, unable to wage a full frontal attack.  But he is crafty and deceitful, fully able to intice people into a drama that is not theirs, causing them to lose sight of their high-calling in Christ, focus on the attraction to their lower self and get caught up in a drama that has nothing to do with a Kingdom dweller - a child of King Jehovah himself.

As a Christian, I have a mission while living on planet Earth.  That mission is not to engage in petty squabbles, reprisals or pay-backs.  I am not here to set the record straight or straighten out the crooked.  My mission is to walk the "straight and narrow way" (Matt 7:13-14), encouraging others to join me on that path to Glory Land.  I can't afford to let Satan get me side tracked.

Just remember, the next time Satan tries to get you all wound up in one of his webs of deceit, entering into a drama that severs relationships and causes division, it really is not your circus, and not your monkey.  Jus' Sayn.

No comments:

Post a Comment