Sunday, November 3, 2013

He Vs Me

A common response when the challenge to engage in ministry, whether outreach, Bible class teaching, worship leading, mission effort, whatever, is to say, "I'm not qualified" or "I've never done that before" or "I don't have that skill set."  The response, wrapped in uncertainty or fear or disinterest, is based on self not God. 

What if you weren't qualified or never tried that before or it wasn't your cup of tea, but it was God's desire for you at this moment?  What if you were the very worst person on the planet for the job?  What if there was no way you could pull it off short of divine intervention?  But God was calling you to that very ministry, what then?

Saul of Tarsus, persecuter of Christians, champion of Judaism, enforcer of the Law, could not have been more unqualified to be the apostle to the Gentiles, representing the Christian faith and proclaiming the message of grace over law, but he was God's choice: "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service" (1 Tim 1:12).

Do you think most preachers were qualified for ministry when they received their call?  I certainly wasn't - far from it!  Do you suppose that most Bible class teachers were experienced when they first felt a burden to lead a class?  Do you believe that only trained people share their faith, serve in missions, volunteer at a shelter, show up for work day at the church, etc.?  If you're searching for an answer, let me suggest "no".

When we get our place before the Sovereign God of the Universe correct, it is He not me who decides to what ministry I am called  and He, not me, will qualify, equip and empower.  If God calls you to it, God will get you through it. 

Jus' Sayn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment