Saturday, November 2, 2013

Just Do It

When you believe God wants you to help someone or go somewhere or do something and you tell yourself, "I know God wants me to...and I want to, but it's just not right for me now, I'll do it when I have more time, more money or more opportunity. What is that?  Is it indecision or procrastination or good intentions?  

Or, is it sin?  To know God's will and to decide to put it off until some other time is to decide not to obey Him for the time being.  As James puts it, "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them" (James 4:17).

Hearing God's will, in whatever way it comes to you, and then deciding you aren't ready or able is to reject God's right to direct you or His ability to decide what you should do when.  Your job is to try to obey, God's job is to open a way for you to accomplish what He has called you to do. A professor at Harding University once told me "If God tells me to run through a wall, it's my job to run at the wall and God's job to open a whole in it."

What God directs you to do may, at times, be difficult, it may even seem impossible for you to accomplish but, even so, even if it were impossible for you, it is not for God, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matt 19:20).  And God "can do more than you can ask or imagine according to His power at work within you" (Eph 3:29).

So, when you are sure God wants you to do something, help someone or go somewhere, just do it.

Jus' sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment