Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Good Life

There were times, when I was a youth that I thought my parents lay awake at night thinking up new ways to make me miserable.  They were constantly telling me what I couldn't do aor must do instead of just letting me do whatever I wanted.  Did you have parents like that?  

They didn't allow me to climb on top of the house or barn or the church building (I'm not saying I didn't, but they didn't allow it). They didn't allow me to smoke, even though the Marlboro Man showed how cool it was. Why, they wouldn't even allow me to chew tobacco (although my Grandpa gave me a chew of his once - not a pleasant memory). 

They insisted I go to school.  My Dad wouldn't even let me drop out when I was a senior to join the military - he refused to sign the waiver - can you imagine?  They insisted that I go to church with them. They made me do chores - lots of them!  My Dad was insistent on forcing a work ethic upon me. Can you imagine parents trying to mold your mind, body and spirit?

You know, God is just like that. He has things that He insists ought to be done and things He tells us we ought not to do.  The Bible is full of stuff we are to avoid and things we are to engage in. God, like so many parents, wants to mold and develop us. He wants to direct and warn us. He wants to parent us. 

And do know why?  All because He wants us to have the good life - not the life we would have when do just what we want and neglect anything that doesn't seem appealing - but the life that truly blesses us.  Just as Moses proclaimed to Israel, "All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God" (Deut 28:2.

Jus' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment