Thursday, November 14, 2013

Just Use It!

In 1 Thessalonians 5:14-18, we read a part of the high-calling of Christians (there's actually more in the surrounding verses): "...encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.  Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

Wow!  Really?  I am to be all that and more?  I'm not sure I'm up for all that, especially the parts, which contain modifiers such as everyone, always, continually and all.  I know me.  I can be moody at times.  I can be selfish on occasion. I reach my limit with people some days. I don't always even want to pray, be thankful and forget about rejoice when my blood pressure is up, my energy level is down and my want-to is busted. 

The simple fact is that I don't think I have it in me to rise to this level of discipleship. Contrary to the Nike* imperative! I just can't do it!  True, but God can. And, if we are willing to yield to His will and rest on the power of His Spirit within, "The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it" (1 Thess 5:24).

God doesn't just release the power to save us from the consequences of our sins, He releases the power to sanctify (make holy or set apart) our lives of sin. He not only can help us live up to the high-calling above, He "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..." (Eph 3:20).

As a Christian, you may think you do not have the personal power to live up to such a high-calling but you would be wrong for you have the personal indwelling of God's Holy Spirit.  You have more power than can be imagined. So, paraphrasing the Nike* ad, "Just Use It!"

Jus ' Sayn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment