Saturday, January 4, 2014

Almighty God

How great, how awesome, how mighty is your God?  I ask that because it seems that so many address Him in such an off-handed manner. People use his name as a by-word, without any recognition of His majesty, saying things like "Good God man..." or "For God's sake" or the ubiquitous "OMG!"

Some don"t bother to come to Him in prayer at all. Others, when they want something, address Him like some kind of cosmic errand boy, "Get met this, do that for me, take care of this detail."  Relatively few read His Word regularly and fewer still actively strive to incorporate it daily into their lives. 

It seems that God is more of an after thought if indeed, He is truly thought of at all by far too many people, even individuals who regard themselves as Christians often live as if they, not God, were the Supreme Being over their lives. "It's my life, I can do what I want with it - it's nobody's business but mine how I live it!"  

Really?  You and I are the Supreme Authority in our lives?  That thinking reminds me of an old bumper sticker, which was meant to express faith in God but revealed a very weak theology indeed: "God Is My Co-Pilot".  If so, you need to change seats. 

When God revealed himself to Isaiah, he debunked any notion that we are anywhere on the same level, "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me?" (Isa 66:1).  How can the God of Creation be contained, how dare we try to pigeon hole Him, how is it that we think we can treat Him in such a cavalier manner?

How one approaches Bible study and prayer says so much about how they view God. While God can communicate directly or in visions or in dreams, The Bible and prayer are daily at our disposal to converse with Almighty God. 

Who wouldn't want to take advantage of those daily opportunities, unless their view of God was something less or their view of self was something more than it ought to be?  Jus' Askn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment