Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Baptizing Cats

The story is told of a mother watching out the back window as her young son was standing on a wooden box, pretending to preach to their cat.  She smiled to herself and thought how sweet.  Just then, her little preacher boy grabbed the cat and began dunking it into a bucket of water.  The cat was terrorized, trying its best to get away.

She ran out the back door yelling, "Tommy, what are you doing?"  He said, "I'm baptizing the cat."  His mom, replied, "Didn't you know that cats hate being dunked in water?"  He resolutely answered, "Well, he should of thought of that before he joined my church!"

I am reminded of this story as I consider what happens all too often on the Internet.  We encounter people with a different religious, political or world-view and then, rather than try to have a discussion that might lead to a better understanding of the other, we try to force our opinion open them (Confession: While I try not to be overbearing, I know I sometimes come across that way - I tend to be passionate about my beliefs).

The point is that while you may be able to overwhelm another by the force of your being, a baptized cat is not likely o be a convinced or converted cat.  Chances are it will be a very annoyed cat with no desire to engage with you from that point forward.  While you may feel vindicated in the strength of your argument or response, you may have vanquished any possibility of truly communicating your core belief.

The biblical teaching on engaging one outside your belief is in contrast, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone" (Col 4:5-6).  Instead of working to overpower another, work to overcome the distance between you and them, laying down a bridge rather than erecting a wall.

I'm not trying to say I've always done this.  I know that I have failed at times and wound up driving a wedge instead of bridging a gap.  But, it nonetheless is my aim and my desire to follow the way of Christ to redeem rather than rebuff.  And, I know that the Internet and the world would be a better place if we all would make an effort to bridge the distance rather than dig in on our side, hurling verbal grenades to the other side.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment