Monday, August 29, 2016

Desire

When I was 17, two of my brothers and one of my best friends joined the Army.  Not wanting to be left behind, I decided to join as well.  Of course, being 17, I couldn't just sign on the dotted line, I would have to get my parents' consent.

I didn't approach my mother as I was certain that she would not be on board with another son enlisting during a time of war.  My dad, however, a retired Command Sergeant Major, should have been a pretty easy sale - Not!

My dad was having nothing of my plans to drop out of high school a year before graduating.  He told me to forget the idea and get my head back in the pursuit of finishing high school and then, at 18 and a high school graduate, I was free to join the Army.

Well, I did finish high school but I didn't join the Army.  I rebelled and joined the Air Force.  Well, it wasn't a full-on rebellion, but I did assert my independence.  Everyone else was decked in green while I was wearing blue.  OK, it wasn't a bold move on any level, however I do like blue better than green.  But, I digress.

My dad wasn't opposed to my having and achieving a dream of uniform service, but he was having nothing to do with my plan that ran counter to his knowledge of what was best for me.  He knew that finishing high school was a foundation for whatever the next step might be and he was fully behind me entering the service after that foundation plank was set in place.

Our Heavenly Father too, is in support of our hopes and dreams, but not if they run counter to His knowledge of what is good and best for us.  He is willing to give us our heart's desire, when our desire aligns with His perfect will: "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Ps 37:4).

If your plans are being frustrated, perhaps you need to rethink your desire compared with God's revealed will or possibly you need to be laying it before the Lord in prayer, listening for His response.  Maybe your goal is fine but your timing is not God's timing.  That was Jesus warning to Mary when she asked him to turn water into wine, letting her know that it was too soon to reveal too much about his divine nature: “Woman, why do you involve me?  My hour has not yet come" (Jn 2:4).

God does answer prayers.  God does love you.  God wants to give you the desires of your heart.  But God will not give you want is not good and best for you as determined by His perfect will not yours; for God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment