Monday, August 22, 2016

For His Glory

Olympic volleyball player, David Smith, was highly involved in church activities growing up.  He was in to "everything I could get my hands on..." church on Sunday, Bible studies, youth group...whatever was going on at church, David was there.

In time, David became very involved in sports - to the point that it became an idol of sorts: "I had a lot of distractions; for me, sports was my biggest rival with God."

For most, the distraction of sports participation begins to vanish after high school but for David it had only begun as he was awarded a scholarship to play volleyball at UC Irvine, which could have led him down a path further from God.  However, David made an important discovery: "I didn't understand that God made sports - not as a rival with Him but something I could use to glorify Him."

Rather than rivaling his relationship with Christ, he learned that volleyball was something he could do with God to glorify Him in the way he played and conducted himself both on and off the court: "I just can't check Christ at the door; He wanted to be in there with me.  He created me to be a volleyball player so He can play with me."

Whether we're playing volleyball or working at the office or hitting the books at school; there never is a time when we should put our relationship with Christ on hold.  Christianity is not a compartment of our lives, it is our life - everything else is a compartment of our faith.

When we understand that, it changes how and why we do everything.  Nothing we do is just about ourselves, it is a part of our witness, our service to God and mankind.  The biblical mandate is this, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Cor 10:31). Rain

And, when we do all for the glory of God, there is a secondary effect upon mankind that works to their glory as well: "Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God--- even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved" (vv. 32-33).

Life is not about me, it is about Him and His concern is for all His children.  Everything I do, therefore, is of great importance to God as each encounter a Christian has with another individual will either draw that person closer or push them further away from God.

So, what about you?  Do you live, work and play for the glory of God and the salvation of mankind.  Or, do are you in it just to win it for yourself?  Jus' Ask'n.


No comments:

Post a Comment