Friday, August 5, 2016

Two Letters

A friend of mine needed to get a letter that would help expedite his father's veteran benefit.  After he asked me, he went about doing the things he normally does, not thinking about the letter or how it would be produced, by who or when.  I, in turn, made a phone call asking that it be written and then did not think much more about it.

Yesterday, he received a call from the one who would write it saying it would be done that day, I was going to be in the office later so I picked it up and brought it back to him.  My friend entrusted me to help him, I entrusted someone else to help us.  Neither of us fretted about the letter and there was no need to do more than ask.

Another individual, who I really don't know, contacted me because she had been trying for a year to get a form letter through the VA to help someone for whom she has guardianship to receive benefits.  After talking on the phone for a bit, I assured her I be able act as their representative and send in a corrected form letter with the appropriate information needed to forward the claim.

This woman thanked me for my willingness to help and then said, "I'm going to go ahead and send it in again myself and then if it comes back needing more work, I'll call you."  Like my friend, she needed some help from me and reached out.  But, unlike him, she was not quite ready to let go.  Chances are, in a month or so, I'll get another call to do what I could have already have taken care of had she been able to let go.

Have you ever done that - asked for help and then continued on trying on your own?  Would you do that if you really trusted the one you had asked to take care of it?  Doesn't really make much sense, does it?  You either trust them to take care of it or you don't.  If you don't trust that they will take care of it, don't ask them.  If you do trust them, don't keep working on it yourself.

Here's a bigger question: "Do you ask God to handle things and then still fret over them?"  Do you lay things before the Father in prayer and them pick them back up again to carry on your own?  What does that say about your trust factor in Him?  Paul said, "The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it" (1 Thess 5:24).  He was talking about sanctifying us, making us holy.  There is no more difficult or needful thing in our lives but, when we turn it over to God, he will do it!

Many turn to God and then keep turning their need over in their minds, trying to figure out how they can become holy or take care of a need that is beyond their control instead of letting go and letting God take care of it.  In whom will you trust?  God or self?  Jus' Ask'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment