Friday, June 2, 2017

A Cup of Cold Water

I received a request from a social worker to visit with a veteran's widow regarding benefits.  At my first opportunity, I set up an appointment to visit with her and drove the 30 minutes to her home, where I met with her.

I looked over the correspondence she had received from the VA, discussed her husband's service and his veteran status at the time of death.  My conclusion was that everything was in order and that she should meet with the county veteran service officer who was already aware of her claim.

In truth, I didn't do much of anything for her in the way of helping to secure benefits or improve her circumstance as a widow except to encourage her and affirm that she was on the right track.  What I had to offer was very little on the one hand, but just what she needed on the other.

As I got ready to leave, she expressed her deep gratitude for my time and my help.  I then asked her if she would like me to pray with her,  to which she immediately agreed.  When the prayer was over and she walked me to the door, she took my hand and eyes welling with tears said, "I am so thankful you came today."

What did I do?  What did I have to offer her really?  I offered her kindness, becoming a conduit of Christ's grace and love.  My presence wasn't very important but His was.  The encouragement she received was beyond what I could offer, allowing the love of God to touch her grieving heart.

Do you recall Jesus saying, "if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones..." (Matt 10:42)?  That was equivalent to what I did.  But sometimes a cup of cold water is just enough.  Sometimes, just a little bit of encouragement is all a hurting soul needs.  As we provide for that need, the presence of Christ magnifies with a covering of grace.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment