Monday, June 5, 2017

The Voice

When I was young, there was one voice I could distinguish over a thousand voices - the voice of my mother.  I knew her voice intimately and was never left wondering, "Was that my Mom?"  When she called for me, I would recognize her voice and I would go to it.

How could I be so sure?  What made it possible for me to know without doubt it was her voice and not someone who just sounded like her?  I knew her voice because from the moment I was born, I listened to it.  I heard it every day, many times a day.  It was imprinted into my soul.

Likewise, when I would call out, "Mom," she would hear and recognize my voice even though their might be many kids calling for a number of moms.  She knew my voice for the same reason I knew hers, she listened for it and to it numerous times daily.

Jesus said, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me" (Jn 10:27).  Can you guess how it is that his sheep (followers) know his voice?  Correct!  His followers listen daily and often for his voice, and it is imprinted into their souls.

Daily times of prayer and reading of the Bible are opportunities each of us have to become familiar with his voice, with the Voice we need to hear and follow.  We need to take time daily to allow our souls to be imprinted with His Voice so that we can distinguish it from the many voices we hear constantly trying to lead us astray or entice us to do evil.  As Jesus warns, "Many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many" (Matt 24:5).

In this day of political correctness based on upside down values and Godless desires, we need to be able to clearly distinguish the Voice of our Lord.  Take time often to listen and call out to Him so that you will not be deceived.  Jus' Say'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment